The Elkhorn Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve is 1700 acres and located at the east end of the Slough, inland from Moss Landing. It is one of many access points to the Slough, but is a great first stop when planning your visit. The Visitor Center is home to fun and informative exhibits, a nature bookstore, and is staffed with knowledgeable naturalists who can answer your questions. There are picnic tables, restrooms and hiking trails. We host regular tours and events. Binoculars are available for loan.
2017 Holiday Hours
11/23 – Closed Thanksgiving
12/24 – Closed at 12:00 noon for Christmas Eve; 12/25 – Closed Christmas
12/31 – Closed at 12:00 for New Year’s Eve; 1/1/18 – Closed for New Years
Dogs and bicycles are NOT allowed on any of the Reserve trails. Dogs should NOT be left in cars while you hike the trails.
You can NOT launch a boat or kayak at the Reserve. Fishing and hunting are not allowed at the Reserve. Click here for recreation information.
There is a short paved trail to an overlook that is wheelchair accessible – the rest of the trails are dirt, gravel or grass with some hills and not suitable for wheelchairs. There is a wheelchair accessible bathroom, visitor center and offices. For more information, call the Reserve at (831) 728-2822.
- Enter the Reserve through the entrance at 1700 Elkhorn Rd. only during the posted open hours – Wed to Sun, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- Remain on designated trails. Only foot traffic is allowed on trails. Strollers, wheelchairs, and walking sticks properly cleaned are allowed.
- Smoking is not allowed.
- Take photographs and memories only. No collecting is allowed. All plants, animals, and artifacts are protected.
- Releasing of any animals, feeding of wildlife, or introduction of any plant is prohibited.
- No pets on trails, in picnic areas, or in the Visitor Center.
- Fires, camping, boating, fishing, hunting, and firearms are not permitted.
- Picnic only in designated area.
- Please put litter in trash cans. Please recycle.
- Researchers have established experiments around the Reserve. Please do not remove or disturb any stakes, plots, small flags, cages, or other such objects.
- Thank you for your cooperation in keeping our site clean and enjoyable for others!