The Elkhorn Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve and the Elkhorn Slough Foundation work separately and together within the watershed to protect and restore its habitats and resources.The Tidal Wetland Program is a collaborative program that develops and implements strategies to conserve and restore estuarine habitats in the Elkhorn Slough watershed. Each organization’s stewardship program is primarily concerned with the properties it owns or manages, but the methods and goals remain the same.
- Protect intact, native habitats and sensitive species
- Restore degraded conservation targets
- Manage habitats that require ongoing manipulation
- Use restoration science and or adaptive management techniques that allow us to share, scientifically, with other land managers which techniques work, and which do not.
- Use a historical ecology model to research our local past and guide our management decisions.